September 29, 2010

Some Say Dad, I Say Daddy




I don't know why, but for whatever reason, I call my father, daddy, and my sister calls him dad. When it comes to our mother, I call her mom and Jennifer calls her momma. We're weird. Anyway, I haven't forgotten about my birthday post for my daddy (even though his birthday was on the 21st). He deserves a good post on this blog and quite honestly, I've just not had the time to sit down and really write what I want to write. Doing posts on Caleb can be quick and easy because I post about him all the time, but with daddy, I needed to take my time and do it right.



Most people growing up would have been afraid of my daddy. He had long hair that he wore in a ponytail, he's a truck driver, and he used to have his huge weight bench set up next to his drum set. He also used to own a motorcycle. But honestly, when you get to know him, you find that he's a tenderhearted teddy bear and the proud father of two little girls (I know we're grown up, but he'll always see us this way). I have to admit that even though we were never well off growing up, I loved my childhood. Loved it. My sister and I always got along and shared some of the same friends. My parents are still married and loved on us all the time. Birthdays, Christmas, Valentines Day, Easter, Halloween, etc. were never missed. Jennifer and I always had a blast. But it wasn't until later in life that I realized what was going on behind the scenes of my perfect childhood.


My daddy has one of the most horrible jobs out there, I'm convinced. Granted, he has a job and I'm thankful for that, but in all honesty, it sucks. Growing up, daddy was always working. He would often take any shift he could get just to provide for his family. Even then, he would sometimes get laid off from work. I don't know how God provides, but He always does. I never went hungry. Never (I mean, look at me.....does it look like I've ever missed a meal?). Even today, my daddy busts his butt to provide. He's currently working a night shift. Did you all hear me? My 53 year old father is working a night shift. Night shifts should be for people fresh out of school in their 20's, not for a man who's worked his whole life. I know he's tired, I know his health has suffered because of it, I know he misses his wife, children, and grandchild. I also know that if it meant my sister and I would have a better life because of it, he would do it all over again. And you know what? Jennifer and I do have a better life because of him.


My mom and dad have struggled through a lot, but through it all, they never stopped loving each other or their little girls and for once I can be a person that says they have parents they can look up to. Most people can't say that. There's a lot that's happened in my life and there were moments where I wanted to throw in the towel. I know that watching my daddy growing up taught me to never give up. I'm so glad I didn't.



I know that turning another year older isn't exactly what most people look forward to. I mean, heck, after 21 most people lose track of how old they are. I know I do. I had to ask Jason how old I was the other day....seriously (you think I'm kidding, but I'm not). But in the eyes of a little girl, I don't see my daddy as another year older. I still see him as my daddy, teaching me life lessons as we go along this journey, regardless of what year it is.


I can't tell you all how thankful I am for him. And daddy, if you're reading this, I want you to know that everything you ever did for me, for Jennifer, for mom; none of that went unnoticed. I'm so proud of you. I'm so proud to call you my daddy. I'm so proud to be called daddy's little girl. I love you. Happy Birthday.



R

1 comment:

  1. I still do & have always called my dad daddy & when I really wanted something I called him my daddy. Which by the way annoyed my sis & bro to no end. However I can still throw out a my daddy and get him to do almost anything, but it doesnt take anything for him to melt for Killian & Lotus.
    Happy Birthday to your daddy & may he have many more!!!!!

    ReplyDelete